Player Eligibility

#1 by Scottish Knight , Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:37 pm

A question has been raised regarding the current position on player eligibility, and if this should be adjusted for the ETC's purposes.

Currently the position is that a player must be a citizen (generally taken to be nationality which will be indicated by passports), and they must also meet other requirements - either being born in a place, having grandparents born there, or have lived there for a period of two years.

The last point, residency, was introduced by FIFA as a minimum requirement to avoid countries granting passports to secure the best players for their national teams. Since that's unlikely to be a concern for a gaming team, this ground currently doesn't make much sense.

It has been raised that it has been interpreted in previous years that two years residency is enough to amount to citizenship. However, that is not in line with the charter as originally drafted, or the new one.

So a further suggestion has been raised that we should look to rugby for the criteria for players, rather than FIFA. Having discussed, one proposal which might work is as follows:

"Players are eligible for a Country provided they meet one of the following conditions:

1) They hold a passport issued by the Country
2) They were born in the Country
3) One or more of their grandparent's were born in the Country
4) They have been resident in the Country in the 3 years prior to registering for the relevant ETC Event"

This would allow players to represent the country they currently live in, but residency could only apply to one country.

The only other issue, not one currently addressed, is if the Captains have any issue with a player representing different Countries in successive years? Should there be a restriction on this, or is it not a concern?

ETC Chairman - 2018-2019
Captain - Team Scotland T9A 2019

Scottish Knight  
Scottish Knight
Date registered 08.08.2018

RE: Player Eligibility

#2 by Mike (Santa) Klaka , Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:58 pm

It seems odd that either being born in a country or having a grandparent born in that country allows you to play for the country BUT having a parent born in the country does not. Am I missing something here?

I also note that the Irish Rugby team comes from both north and south of the border, whilst I don't object to this it might be a bit 'controversial?

We could always adapt the wording from the Rugby criteria posted without combining the two Irish teams.

Mike

Team England FOW Coach (non playing)

Mike (Santa) Klaka  
Mike (Santa) Klaka
Date registered 07.16.2018

#3 by Scottish Knight , Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:38 pm

Quote: Mike (Santa) Klaka wrote in post #2
It seems odd that either being born in a country or having a grandparent born in that country allows you to play for the country BUT having a parent born in the country does not. Am I missing something here?

I agree - it might be that I've oversimplified the actual wording, but if we adopt this, I can make sure it includes parents too. I think it's intended to be up to two generations back.

I also note that the Irish Rugby team comes from both north and south of the border, whilst I don't object to this it might be a bit 'controversial?

I believe under FIFA there's a different arrangement, where players from either North or Republic can play for the other team.

We could always adapt the wording from the Rugby criteria posted without combining the two Irish teams.

Yes, this is only in relation to player eligibility, not about teams - there is another topic for teams in this sub forum.

ETC Chairman - 2018-2019
Captain - Team Scotland T9A 2019

Scottish Knight  
Scottish Knight
Date registered 08.08.2018

#4 by 96mgb , Yesterday 8:14 pm

So by the rules someone in the uk counts for all 4 nations as we share the same passport. A British passport.

Team Wales 2014
Team Wales 2015
Team wales 2016
Team Wales 2017
Captain Team Wales

96mgb  
96mgb
Date registered 05.15.2018

Number of Teams per Country

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor