Chairmen Meeting Notes - 2019

#1 by pizzaguardian , Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:55 am

Keep in depth discussion about individual items (edit: under their own thread) and only post questions under this topic to reduce clutter.

Zitat
Date: 22/10/2018
Attendance: Işık, James, Marko, Chris, Edward, Flippo

Meeting Notes:

1- Introductions were made between the attending Chairmen and Advisors.

2- Updating the Charter:
Captaincy issue: How a captain who hasn't brought a team to an event (or several) should be handled?
X-Wing: A way of side events to be made a main event should be included in the new charter. It should be handled in a case by case basis?
Should new systems be subject to a trial period, where they have rights of a main system but are subject to yearly reviews.
Should a non-profit be formed or not? If formed where?
In the new charter: The main event term should include ESC+ETC. Confirming the event as both a team and singles event.

Potential name change? (European Tabletop Championship - World Team Championship)
Reasoning behind it is the current name is too vague. And a more fitting name while keeping the acronym can be a good idea.

3- 2020 Host Vote
The collection of bids will start at January. The vote will be held at start of April. The host bid question package and question will be edited by the end of the month initially by Işık. It will be up for debate until January by the other chair and captains.

2019 ETC Turkey 40K Captain - ETC Chairmen
2018 ETC Turkey 40K Captain - ETC Chairmen - WTC Head Judge - BTC Janissaries
2017 ETC Turkey 40K Captain - ETC Chairmen - ESC Referee - WTC Head Judge
2016 ETC Turkey 40K Captain - WTC Head Judge
2015 WTC Merc

pizzaguardian
Date registered 05.14.2018

Last edited 10.24.2018 | Top

RE: Chairmen Meeting Notes - 2019

#2 by TOM A , Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:56 pm

Quote: pizzaguardian wrote in post #1

Potential name change? (European Tabletop Championship - World Team Championship)
Reasoning behind it is the current name is too vague. And a more fitting name while keeping the acronym can be a good idea.

This was discussed/voted for some 2 years ago and voted down. Consensus was that the ETC is well established as being the world championships, but held in Europe, and that there was/is no need for a namechange. Pity we cannot access the old discussions. I know there's a new board, and that they want to affect changes, but I don't see what has changed in comparison to two years ago that this needs revisited, and I would rather focus the attention to things that DO need changing and addressing than spending our energy every two years discussing why it would be a good idea to change the name, which honestly, won't change that much.

TOM A  
TOM A
Date registered 05.16.2018

Last edited 10.23.2018 | Top

#3 by Scottish Knight , Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:07 am

Quote: TOM A wrote in post #2
This was discussed/voted for some 2 years ago and voted down. Consensus was that the ETC is well established as being the world championships, but held in Europe, and that there was/is no need for a namechange. Pity we cannot access the old discussions. I know there's a new board, and that they want to affect changes, but I don't see what has changed in comparison to two years ago that this needs revisited, and I would rather focus the attention to things that DO need changing and addressing than spending our energy every two years discussing why it would be a good idea to change the name, which honestly, won't change that much.

Can't speak to two years ago, but the reasons it was discussed:

1) "European Team Championship" has a limited unique element, in terms of ensuring it has a distinct and recognisable name which relates to the subject matter of the competition.
2) The singles events have a less certain position, as they don't fit the name and their position in the charter is uncertain. This would give us the opportunity to bring both single and team competitions under a single heading.
3) ETC is recognisable as the shorthand, but only among those already familiar. For a broader appeal, a more specific name would help.

To be clear, this isn't an issue taking up extra time, this is one matter we discussed as part of the overall charter reform process. So we're not being sidetracked on a minor issue.

As Isik said, happy to have more discussion on a specific thread if need be.

Captain - Team Scotland T9A 2019

Scottish Knight  
Scottish Knight
Date registered 08.08.2018

#4 by TOM A , Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:14 am

Are you sure this conversation isn't spurred by Frederick hosting a WTC for T9A and some chairmen going 'oh but wouldn't it be a good idea to change the name' btw ;).

Quote: Scottish Knight wrote in post #3

2) The singles events have a less certain position, as they don't fit the name and their position in the charter is uncertain. This would give us the opportunity to bring both single and team competitions under a single heading.

Position is uncertain because there was the need for it to be optionable if an org needs to bid without being able to offer to host a singles event. Hence the 'open-ended' side for the singles in the charter. It has never been a requirement to hold both singles and team event but it has been up to the discretion of the organizer.

Zitat
3) ETC is recognisable as the shorthand, but only among those already familiar. For a broader appeal, a more specific name would help.

The ETC is getting more and more traction from what I can see/hear/read, and I am not sure your statement holds any truth to it, or if the broader appeal cannot be reached without a namechange for that matter.

Zitat
As Isik said, happy to have more discussion on a specific thread if need be.

Gotcha.

TOM A  
TOM A
Date registered 05.16.2018

Last edited 10.24.2018 | Top

Discussion about updating the host questionaire
2019 Chairmen Board

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor