RE: [VOTE] Chairmen Council 2019 - Proposal to accept all current candidates & if not, making selection

#16 by Mike Newman , Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:19 am

Doesnít seem to big too me. In fact last year we were actively trying to encourage making it bigger with the inclusion of AoS. Which seems at odds with everything you are trying to promote completely.

I for one am really glad that once a year I can meet up and see my friends from across so many systems and around the world. Thatís part of the joy of the event

Also. Out of interest what are you hoping GW backing will actually offer you that canít/isnít offered already?

England t9A 2015, 2016, captain 2017, co-captain 2018, captain 2019

Mike Newman  
Mike Newman
Date registered 05.15.2018

Last edited 10.04.2018 | Top

RE: [VOTE] Chairmen Council 2019 - Proposal to accept all current candidates & if not, making selection

#17 by El Rey , Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:23 am

Danish40kCaptain , so drop 40K at ETC and take X wing on board as the sci-fi part instead. Then the GW fan boys can make their own event? If it is 40K that has a problem with ETC' and it's biggest system. But i'm unsure if this is just one 40K teams opinion or if other think it is a problem not to crave into GWs demands?

T9A Denmark

ETC 2006 #2 (LM), ETC 2007 #4 (Brets), ETC 2008 #12 (LM), ETC 2009 #3 (DoC), ETC 2010 #1 (VC), ETC 2011 #2 (WoC & AR member), ETC 2012 #4 (Ogre & AR member), ETC 2013 #3 (Ogre, AR member & FAQ member), ETC 2014 #5 (Skaven & AR member), ETC 2015 #7 (DoC), ETC 2016 #4 (Coach), ETC 2017 #4 (Coach), ETC 2018 #5 (Media).

El Rey

#18 by Danish40kCaptain , Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:23 am

Such is life. You found people you disagree with sometimes. The beauty of that is everyone is entitled to their own opinions. From what I've heard and understood from chairmen and organisers the event could do with trimming because of the logistics. And things like holding an ETC in Denmark will never be feasible either, because of the costs involved with that many people. It would open up a lot of options. Besides, if we had proper coordination we could hold both events at the same time close by, or whatever. I can see ways of working around most of the problems.

Danish40kCaptain  
Danish40kCaptain

#19 by Mike Newman , Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:30 am

Indeed. Although other events seems to manage to be even bigger but with no problems?

As I asked, what was it you were hoping GW official endorsement would provide that we donít have already?

Maybe there are things that can be done by this years Orgs to add those to the event anyway? - like how the live streaming was incorporated last year

England t9A 2015, 2016, captain 2017, co-captain 2018, captain 2019

Mike Newman  
Mike Newman

#20 by pizzaguardian , Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:41 am

Ok this discussion has taken somewhat a constructive turn that something postive might come out.

Discussion about the New Charter

Please post your ideas here,

But in order to end the discussion about logistics and such.

The problem with the ETC at the moment is once you reach a certain level, which is already reached with the 3 main systems; you have to approach it differently. ETC even with 3 main systems will be very cramped in an arena of 3000 sqm. So you need to go for a bigger venue, once you have that bigger venue you need to try to fill it up with essentially anything.

As some of you know this is not your local GT with 100 people, you can't just increase everything for a GT 7-8 times and be done with it. ETC required and still requires the work of many many dedicated and underappreciated people. Even getting chairs(not chairmen literal chairs) becomes an issue once we are talking about 800 people, you can't borrow it because nobody has 800 chairs to borrow you.

Tables, terrains, referees, chairs are the main 4 musts of the event and each requires uncounted hours of work at the minimum. This all comes after venue of course.

(Not even touching that changing organisers each year and it's effects)

Anyway, i hope this gave everybody some more insight of how ETC is organised. Please move discussion to charter thread.

2018 ETC Turkey 40K Captain - ETC Chairmen - WTC Head Judge - BTC Janissaries
2017 ETC Turkey 40K Captain - ETC Chairmen - ESC Referee - WTC Head Judge
2016 ETC Turkey 40K Captain - WTC Head Judge
2015 WTC Merc

pizzaguardian
Date registered 05.14.2018

#21 by TOM A , Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:36 pm

Quote: Mike Newman wrote in post #14

I think you will very clearly find that the 9th age scene have absolutely no problem with AoS and GW being involved - indeed a number of us would love to see it happen.

You got it backwards. I have been told GW didn't want to commit to engaging with the ETC because we are running 9th age events. Of course from our side we are willing partners, that speaks for itself.

TOM A  
TOM A
Date registered 05.16.2018

#22 by TOM A , Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:39 pm

Quote: Mike Newman wrote in post #19
Although other events seems to manage to be even bigger but with no problems?

American con-level events like Nova and Adepticon you mean? I think you would find we are harp pressed to manage an even bigger ETC in central Europe at this junction in time if you would ask around. It's one thing you sitting behind your computer stating this and another altogether trying to realise it.

TOM A  
TOM A

#23 by pk-ng , Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:11 am

Quote: TOM A wrote in post #21

I think you will very clearly find that the 9th age scene have absolutely no problem with AoS and GW being involved - indeed a number of us would love to see it happen.

You got it backwards. I have been told GW didn't want to commit to engaging with the ETC because we are running 9th age events. Of course from our side we are willing partners, that speaks for itself.

Just out of curiosity / clarification.
We have 3 main systems
T9A
FoW

And GW just have an issue with T9A? So they are willing to sponsor if the event was just 40k and FoW?

Fantasy - Team Singapore
2015 - High Elves
2014 - Chaos Dwarvf

pk-ng  
pk-ng

#24 by James Brown , Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:08 am

Probably a poorly aimed attempt to provoke. I think one of the things that makes the ETC the prestigious event it is, is the multi systems. Bringing those countries and teams together from across the globe. I think you would be in real danger of losing that if you split into smaller events. Whatís to stop it being just another medium sized 40k teams event. You think you would have less nerd politics if it was just 40k? I doubt it. Yes itís not ideal but people have seemed to get very offended very quickly. Letís not sunder the great event that the ETC is over petty disputes.

NZ ETC 2015
NZ ETC Captain 2018
NZ ETC Captain 2019

James Brown  
James Brown

#25 by Chris Legg , Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:41 am

Quote: TOM A wrote in post #21

Hi Tom,

I'm not sure where you got your information from - GW did send a proposal of support with a list of requests to obtain that support. However, none of them made reference to T9A not being allowed in the event.

ETC England WFB / Ninth Age 2009 - 2019
ETC Chairman 2018-2019

Chris Legg  
Chris Legg
Date registered 05.22.2018

#26 by Mike (Santa) Klaka , Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:54 am

I think this thread is about voting for Chairmen?

Chris/Tom I suggest you email each other with a copy of what you received from GW, your debate is about what happened in the past, we need to look at the future.

Mike

Team England FOW Coach (non playing)

Mike (Santa) Klaka  
Mike (Santa) Klaka
Date registered 07.16.2018

#27 by El Rey , Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:04 am

So is the result of the vote?

T9A Denmark

ETC 2006 #2 (LM), ETC 2007 #4 (Brets), ETC 2008 #12 (LM), ETC 2009 #3 (DoC), ETC 2010 #1 (VC), ETC 2011 #2 (WoC & AR member), ETC 2012 #4 (Ogre & AR member), ETC 2013 #3 (Ogre, AR member & FAQ member), ETC 2014 #5 (Skaven & AR member), ETC 2015 #7 (DoC), ETC 2016 #4 (Coach), ETC 2017 #4 (Coach), ETC 2018 #5 (Media).

El Rey

#28 by TOM A , Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:38 am

Quote: Mike (Santa) Klaka wrote in post #26
I think this thread is about voting for Chairmen?

Chris/Tom I suggest you email each other with a copy of what you received from GW, your debate is about what happened in the past, we need to look at the future.

Mike

As someone who is trying to get the next ETC organised, I am ALL about the future Mike. If we want to learn from the past we need to address things that went wrong in it don't you think? But I get your point. You want to move on. So do I. But it is hard when there is so much disinformation. IMO, this is SO VERY MUCH relevant to the 2019 council and beyond, so I will stick to my guns. Sorry.

Zitat von Chris Legg
Hi Tom,

I'm not sure where you got your information from - GW did send a proposal of support with a list of requests to obtain that support. However, none of them made reference to T9A not being allowed in the event.

Weird. This info is coming straight from a chairmen. Can you explain to me then why one of your fellow chairmen states the 9th age directly, claiming otherwise, and on multiple occasions, and mentions you as the key actor?
I am not in the habit of sharing private messages but for the sake of transparency ...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1exKF5B...6i4mxMh5D8Kvf2T

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-ypn4b...ZK6qXHrj7G6mdBC

I hope the future chairmen see that these kind of discussions can be avoided if the chairmen are more open with info as to what they're doing and brief the captains about it. To me this level of misinformation coming from amongst the chairmen is worrying. I hope they resort again to briefing the captains on a regular basis about what is going on behind the scenes of the ETC, especially because there are a lot of comments coming from the chairmens side that 'captains have lost interest' and they don't 'engage' anymore. I wonder how they can if they don't get any info to engage over in the first place. I think it is high time we re-define the scope of what it means to be a chairmen, and what their duties should be towards the CCC, especially regarding the open information flow. Too much is happening behind closed doors now. Info doesn't get shared. Opportunities are lost...

TOM A  
TOM A

Last edited 10.06.2018 | Top

#29 by Chris Legg , Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:04 am

Hi Tom,

Iím away at the moment but when Iím home later on this evening I will DM you the actual GW support proposal that was received.

For public clarity, their support was not in anyway conditional on the presence of Ninth Age or any other games system. It was ultimately not pursued because of two (from memory) specific potential issues, principal amongst which was the requirement for any GW system to be played out of the book with zero changes, which would obviously cause issues with the 40k event.

As a result, the chair board was unanimous at this point in not wanting to proceed with the proposal.

I am not sure why Isik has told you what was detailed in the message, however I will take this up with him privately.

I was only initially involved in this aspect in suggesting we approach GW for potential support due to private conversations I had held with GW staff. The actuall proposal was sent directly to the 2018 orgas by GW in country.

ETC England WFB / Ninth Age 2009 - 2019
ETC Chairman 2018-2019

Chris Legg  
Chris Legg
Date registered 05.22.2018

#30 by James Brown , Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:41 am

That sounds like no fun Chris - it doesnít support the rhetoric or agenda that is being created.

NZ ETC 2015
NZ ETC Captain 2018
NZ ETC Captain 2019

James Brown  
James Brown

ETC 2019 -Q&A THREAD
Discussion about updating the host questionaire

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor