X-WING format

#1 by Golonka , Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:56 pm

I would like to bring one more topic.
What are your thoughts about next year format? Would you like to stay with Swiss+Top4 or change it for pure Swiss.
In my opinion pure swiss is so much better, it allowe every team to play the same amount of games, it secure that you will be playing with different teams every game, and in my point of view it is better, because less luck is involved and more skill (in single elimination "luck" is more important then in series of games).

What are yours opinions?

Best regards,
Łukasz Golonka

Golonka  
Golonka
Date registered 09.02.2018

RE: X-WING format

#2 by desco34 , Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:03 pm

Interesting topic Lukasz!
I am a strong supporter of the Top in X-Wing tournaments (it makes them more fun and exciting), but I would prefer a "Swiss-only-format" for the ETC, too. The main reason is that having to play again against a team can cause a distortion in the pairings.

However, a "Swiss-only-format" could be not fair if each team doesn't play against each other, and this will be the case if, as it seems, 20+ teams will participate next year!
For example, a team could reach the podium or even win without playing with Poland, England and/or Italy (just to mention the first 3 teams of this edition)!

We'll have to find a solution for this, otherwise I think that the top could still be necessary.

Looking forward to hearing other opinions on this topic!

Marco de Scordilli

Team Italy X-Wing Coach 2018
Team Italy X-Wing Captain 2019

desco34  
desco34
Date registered 09.01.2018

#3 by desco34 , Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Another option could be a 3-day Swiss to have more games and a more significant final standing (the ESC could be sacrificed), but I don't know if all the teams could commit to a 3-days competition.

Or having a certain number of brackets with seeding, maybe (but it could be difficult to establish the seeding for the new teams participating).

Team Italy X-Wing Coach 2018
Team Italy X-Wing Captain 2019

desco34  
desco34

Last edited 09.03.2018 | Top

#4 by Ken , Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:01 pm

Most countries have 3 day competition anyways, it's holiday season, so either 3 days swiss (but we cannot make it round-robin with 20+ teams as it will be almost impossible imo), in all of the other systems (40k, 9th, FoW etc) they're playing normal swiss. Or if we want to keep Top structure putting teams in groups with seeding makes more sense.

Ken  
Ken
Date registered 09.17.2018

#5 by Golonka , Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:57 pm

In Swiss format with 8+ games and such restricted scoring (propably brackets at 1-4 to 4-1 points for each game) it's just mathematicly impossible to not play against best teams to win. Especially with around 20 participants. And if we would be a main event there is nothing holding us back from making it 3 day tournament.

Golonka  
Golonka
Date registered 09.02.2018

#6 by Oli186 , Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:16 pm

I will state for the record that I like a small top cut (even if i keep losing the first round)

I think if we have 20+ teams, a swiss system followed by a top cut could work well.

8 rounds of swiss and top 4 format could be kept as after 8 rounds of swiss you should have played many of the toughest teams to achieve top 4.

Another way of doing this could be groups, similar to the world cup. We split everyone into groups of a certian number, play these rounds then go into knockouts or another mini swiss, like the world cup.

The problem with groups is the seeding system may be difficult.

Team England X-Wing captain 2016-present

Oli186

#7 by Ken , Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:34 pm

Well honestly I cannot see how top system can work in Team Tournaments, my previous experience with ETC (40k and Xwing) is that it is best to have Swiss only system, due to pairings and how they work in the tournament. Until now TOP CUT worked well for singles, as we all know dice are a factor, and you may have a 2nd shot in the tops. Team play though is different, you have entire team playing, and pairings are playing major factor, teams are preparing for pairings and suddenly you get to play the same team, knowing their pairing strategy etc...

From our perspective the most fair system is Swiss - let's play even 9 or 10 rounds of swiss (wanna play 4 per day? sure!) and make it a 3 day event. Otherwise best teams will play each other for the 2nd time in mini top cut, that's the only difference.

If you want a top cut, making it Winner/Looser bracket would make more sense, but we don't have enough time, and some teams would have to drop after 2 games which is bad aswell.

Ken  
Ken
Date registered 09.17.2018

#8 by Rorer , Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:23 pm

I can’t really see anything fairer than Swiss then a top cut.

Cheers
Rory

2019 Scotland X-Wing Captain

Rorer  
Rorer
Date registered 06.30.2018

#9 by Oli186 , Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 pm

Case well put Ken, I can get behind that, Would that be based on 4 points maximum per round or 5?

If we have five players per team, it's not quite so bad if one team gets 5-0 as when we had 6 per team.

Team England X-Wing captain 2016-present

Oli186

#10 by pizzaguardian , Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:37 pm

Can i chime in as an outsider?

It feels a bit weird to come to ETC for 2 3 days of championship and not play for half a day. Wouldnt it be better if everybody played for all the days full time?

I understand the reasoning behind the top cut, so maybe divide the teams into pods. Wher the top pod is still top 4-8 regardless of the results on other pods.

That way all teams play for the complete duration of the tournament.

2019 ETC Turkey 40K Captain - ETC Chairmen
2018 ETC Turkey 40K Captain - ETC Chairmen - WTC Head Judge - BTC Janissaries
2017 ETC Turkey 40K Captain - ETC Chairmen - ESC Referee - WTC Head Judge
2016 ETC Turkey 40K Captain - WTC Head Judge
2015 WTC Merc

pizzaguardian
Date registered 05.14.2018

X-Wing Teams Structure with 2.0 and new factions
X-Wing Captains Contact List

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor