X-Wing Teams Structure with 2.0 and new factions

#1 by desco34 , Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:30 am

Hi everybody!
As we started discussing in the Facebook Captains group, with 2.0 we'll have to decide which structure will have our teams.

Starting from Christmas 2018 we'll have 5 factions available (Rebels, Empire, Scum, Resistance, First Order) and FFG announced also the release of Republic and Separatists during Spring 2019, but I don't know if they'll be competitive/various enough to be played in the next ETC (we'll decide this later during next year!).

Anyway I'll post here the different options we mentioned in the FB group, keeping in mind that with all the new teams joining the tournament in 2019 maybe keeping the teams at 5 players could be the best option to favour the greatest participation.

A - 5 players, 1 for each faction or 5 even with 7 playable factions
B - 6 players, 1 for each faction + 1 repeat (considering 5 playable factions)
C - 7 players, 1 for each faction if Republic and Separatists have enough playable ships
D - 8 players with 5 factions: 2 players for each of the main three factions + 1 player for First Order and Resistance

Team Italy X-Wing Coach 2018
Team Italy X-Wing Captain 2019

desco34  
desco34
Date registered 09.01.2018

Last edited 09.01.2018 | Top

RE: X-Wing Teams Structure with 2.0 and new factions

#2 by desco34 , Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:42 am

I copy here also the comments on FB so far, to encourage the discussion.

Cormac Higgins (Ireland):
"A. I like B personally but I think 6 players is just that tipping point to making it difficult for new/ small countriesm"

Krzysztof Piszcz (OP):
"For me odd number of ppl is good direction - draws go away, we can go 1-0 with battle points as tie breakerm"

Marco de Scordilli (Italy):
"I really like D for list variety and to have the same pairing mechanism of the past years, but I think option A is the best to encourage participationm"

Halil Kardıçalı (Turkey):
"A seems good to me :) Lowering player required per team helps a lot for team formation.
Am I safe in assuming that there will be no repeat of faction represented in the team?"

Gísli Baldur Bragason (Iceland):
"A sounds like the choice if you want more teams, So I go for A."

Łukasz Golonka (Poland):
"I think A is best option for now. It will bring more variances, more funny builds and should allowed new countries to participate more easily."

Rick Porsius (Netherlands):
"What about if it becomes 7 factions, keep teams of 6 and one faction won’t be chosen? Warhammer isn’t playing all the armies eitherm"

Leonidas Pasios (Greece):
"Voting for A. But I would also think about option D because that would give more players the chance to participate at ETC."

Filippo Bosi (OP):
"Imho: we are struggling to get new teams in. Smaller teams is rather useful, at least as a "tryout" for the first year of 2.0.
Also, avoiding repetitions in factions fosters variety in the game. Add to this that "unique" cards and the carpool itself are gonna be much smaller."

Nicolas Durand (France):
"E can make it difficult to get a team for some countries (France included).
I would also vote for A. It would also allow for more diversity in the team composition due to the fact you're not forced to use all the factions. At the same time we may lose a bit of the hard choices that make ETC format special (across 7 factions there will be a lot less pilots and upgrades redundancy). But with 2.0 being totally new, that is already a risk anyway (probably Rebel Fenn Rau will not be as good as Scum Fenn Rau for instance)."

Oliver Pocknell (England):
"I think A would be the best option for now, As we expand, it would be great to have teams of 7 ! but we will see how we do with that ;)
Spreading spanish italian polish and GB players around the smaller teams could work but it would be good to have proper teams!"

Sverre Martin (Norway):
"A for my part. For a small community like Norway getting 5 players will make it a lot easier to field a team."

Marcelo Soto (Spain):
"We’ve been fighting with ETC orga in order to be upgraded to main event and their “excuse” has always been: you’re too few, get more players...
We need to grow in number of countries attending (Filippo has done an excellent work on that matter) and cutting the teams to 5 although is easier to get a team, gets less presence from each country.
If we see the other systems:
40k had 32 teams of 8 (256 players)
9thAge had 36 teams of 8 (288 players)
FoW had 20 teams of 6 (120 players)
We got somewhere near the lowest with our 72 players but still too far from the others.
8 man teams is really far away from what we can assume (at least for a few years) but going for less than 6 is a mistake for the image of X-Wing towards the ETC community. IMHO"

Germán Quiroga (Argentina):
"Argentina likes “C” but I’m pretty sure we will go with “A” not many players can afford the trip. We are still working."

Elias Holmgren (Sweden):
"On one hand, I like the idea of multiple lists per faction. That means less "auto-include" and not just the top list of that faction will see play (which in turn increases tactics/strategy in matchup).
On the other hand I agree that we can't have teams that are too large. 😕
I'll follow this topic with great interest as the new edition rolls in and we'll see how organized play starts forming!"

Janne Niinivaara (Finland):
"I would go with "A" unless the Clone wars release is really fast paced to have a reasonable amount of options available. We'll be way wiser in Q1/2 of '19 when this has to be decided.
Personally, I'd stick with the Ep. 4-8(9) stuff as long as possible to avoid the inevitable Jar Jar Binks crew card."

desco34  
desco34

#3 by KeVog , Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:31 pm

Kevin Vogelsang (Germany):

I prefer C but i am also fine with A.

X-Wing Captain Team Germany 2019

KeVog  
KeVog
Date registered 09.03.2018

#4 by Rorer , Mon Sep 17, 2018 11:05 pm

Hi

I’d prefer C but I’ve already had 20+ players say that they’re seriously interested. Every member of this year’s team has made themselves available. I don’t think we’d have a problem with option D either.

Cheers

2019 Scotland X-Wing Captain

Rorer  
Rorer
Date registered 06.30.2018

#5 by Marcellvs , Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:06 pm

Last weekend during Spanish Nationals I gathered some of the ETC players (Spain and UN) and talked about ideas and impressions for ETC 2019

Utzi came with one idea that seems a bit crazy at first glance but not so much if you think in team format...

The idea is to get the factions together in 3 big groups so the "main" factions with more ships and unique upgrades can be the main role, or maybe not ;-)
So we have:

REBELS: Rebel Alliance, Resistance and Gallactic Republic
EMPIRE: Gallactic Empire and First Order
SCUM: Scum & Villainy and Confederacy of Independent Systems

This would be just for choosing the list, all restrictions apply. Each team should field 2 lists from each group, just like in 1.0
2 Empire, 2 Rebels and 2 Scum

this doesn't mean you can now take Luke and Anakin on the same list, or Kylo side to side with Soontir, because all list building restrictions must be met for all lists.

Why doing this? Because it's sad to leave factions out, but with the 2 new factions coming up in spring and the poorly small First Order and Resistance (4 ships each) maybe the choices can be a bit small and we could get the same OP list for each faction and nothing else.
With this system, if one team doesn't want to field the FO, they can choose two from Gallactic Empire, or if the "pool" of ships for CIS is not enough, they can choose two from Scum and Villainy.

This way we could maintain the 6-man teams, that doesn't change the ETC structure.

Thoughts?

Team Spain X-Wing Captain 2016-present

Marcellvs

Last edited 10.20.2018 | Top

#6 by Rorer , Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:18 pm

I like this idea

Rory

2019 Scotland X-Wing Captain

Rorer  
Rorer
Date registered 06.30.2018

#7 by Oli186 , Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:31 pm

Also like it, means that people can expand if they want to.

Good solution of we end up going for six players over five

Team England X-Wing captain 2016-present

Oli186

#8 by Elred , Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:33 am

Also like this idea.

This solves the challenge of finding a a 7th player very neatly.

X-Wing Team France captain 2018
X-Wing Team France captain 2019?

Elred
Date registered 05.19.2018

#9 by Niinivaara , Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Sound good to me. It also gives some flexibility as we don't know yet are the prequel factions really playable at the time of the ETC.

X-Wing Finland Captain 2019

Niinivaara  
Niinivaara
Date registered 09.18.2018

#10 by desco34 , Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:13 pm

It seems a good idea!!
As Oli said, it could be the best option if all teams can get 6 players.

desco34  
desco34

#11 by Golonka , Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:24 pm

I generally dont like this idea. First of all in my opinion it will decrease the diversity of lists, and second it will take the main goal, to compete with different lists. Its part of a skill to make an use out of the weakest factions and lists, by allowing that we will agree to overusage of best factions and totally negate this effect. I am strongly in opposition to that.

Golonka  
Golonka
Date registered 09.02.2018

#12 by Marcellvs , Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:31 pm

It can be a "soft" solution for 2019 and we have a whole year to let ETC event and XW-2.0 grow for 2020 and maybe we can dream for a 8-man team like WH and 40k ;-)

Team Spain X-Wing Captain 2016-present

Marcellvs

#13 by Samurai33 , Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:25 am

I'll join the likes for this solution. For a six man team this would be good, and as I've stated in other posts, the "smaller" the team the more likely it is that we can actually get that amount of players from our smallish community.

Team Norway X-wing captain 2019

Samurai33  
Samurai33

Official Votings
X-WING format

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor