[CHAIRMEN] Elections For 2019

#1 by pizzaguardian , Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:26 pm

Since ETC 2018 is now over, the work for ETC 2019 starts anew.

This thread is for people to declare if they want to become Chairmen for ETC 2019. If there is more than 6 people another thread will be opened to determine the 6 most preffered people by the captains via a preference vote counted with the Condorcet method.

The DEADLINE to announce your candidacy is August 26th 23:59 CEST!

With your application you should give some information in the following template so players who don't know you get to know who you are.

1) Who are you? (This includes your name, nationality, job, and other non game related details)

2) How long had you been involved in Tabletop gaming and in which systems especially?

3) What has been your involvement with organising events so far? (This doesn't have to be just game related, ETC Organisation requires lots of non game related planning to function)

4) How long had you been involved in the ETC and in what capacity?

5) What are your plans for the ETC Organisation and it's future? (This includes details from fixing some of the quirks about how the event runs to substantial changes if you are planning them)

2019 ETC Turkey 40K Captain - ETC Chairmen
2018 ETC Turkey 40K Captain - ETC Chairmen - WTC Head Judge - BTC Janissaries
2017 ETC Turkey 40K Captain - ETC Chairmen - ESC Referee - WTC Head Judge
2016 ETC Turkey 40K Captain - WTC Head Judge
2015 WTC Merc

pizzaguardian
Date registered 05.14.2018

Last edited 08.17.2018 | Top

RE: [CHAIRMEN] Elections For 2019

#2 by Potan , Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:02 pm

Hi, my name is ätěpán "Potan" Jura, an wargaming enthusiast from Czech Republic. I studied at a gymnasium and continued to the first university in Central Europe, Charles University in Prague, where I studied History, Social studies at bachelors degree and Philosophy and Ethics, Pedagogical Psychology at masters level. Currently working at Digital Marketing.

I started with wargaming more then ten years ago, at the end of 4th edition of Warhammer 40k, with little breaks I play to this day and mustered about 20 000+ fullpainted points across many Imperial armies - Mostly Ultramarines, Imperial Guard and Custodes, which started as small allies project for Horus Heresy... I played even some other GW games - BattleFleet Gothic, Necromunda and Horus Heresy. I also play many other wargames, mostly Historicals - Bolt Action, Black Powder, Saga, By Fire and Sword, and others. Trough the years i hoarded hundreds and hundreds of figures :) Who is interested in my hobby side, can freely take o look at my wargaming blog Potans War.

Im one of the lead figures in czech wargaming scene, co-organizing Velmi Tournaments, on of the most popular and largest W40k Czech tournaments with about 70 attendees. Im also co-organizator and Head judge of international Prague Open tournament, which in 2017 has media coverage from Tabletop Tactics and in 2018 from Beast of War, if you want to take a look.

Except from tournaments, Im head organizator for WarGameCon, wargaming sub-line of Festival Fantazie and PragoFFest, biggest popculture festivals and Scifi/Fantasy conventions in Czech Republic with about three thousands visitors each year.

My first visit for ETC was this year in Zagreb, when Czech community elected me as new captain for rebooting of Czech W40k team. I was also member of three man strong bidding team, same organization team as for Prague Open, for ETC Prague 2019. Which we want to try again with Prague hosting bid for ETC 2020, because 2019 voting was really close.

And thats one of reasons, I want to try to run for chairman position. To see how ETC works and runs "behind the courtain" and have the best possible complex image of ETC organazation in case, we would win with 2020 Prague bid.

And to be honest, theyre some issues that needs fresh air and enthusiasm for fixing, because for reasons I dont know (but Im beting for burn out syndrome) nobody is doing it - ETC Chart need a HUGE redone and I think that ETC should be more strict about some of their own rules. Fullpaint and "friendly sportsmanship spirit" of the event. In Zagreb I saw some armies which have even dozen of models (or even unit) nonpainted or with "three colours splattered on them" and saw and heard about incidents which were all but good sportsmanship. Shouting at other players or even referees? I think this kind of things shoud not be possible here and needs to have zero tolerance policy.

And last and not least, I would provide better communacation and colaboration with Gamemat.eu, company I believe nobody here needs to introduce.

2018 ETC - Czech Republic W40K Co-Captain

Potan
Date registered 08.17.2018

#3 by James Brown , Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:01 am

sweden.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)chair.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte)

Hi my name is James Brown from New Zealand. Outside of toy soldiers I am a husband and dad to two small boys. For work I am a Senior HR professional (Head of Talent Acquisition) for a global engineering company of 45,000 people. I lead a team and support all of the talent & recruitment activity across New Zealand. As part of this role I am used to managing both people and budgets.

I have been involved in wargaming since 1990 (I know I donít look that old 😊) and first picked up Warhammer at 4th edition. I have played on and off for that time largely 40K & Warhammer with a few detours along the way. I have collections of Epic, Mordeim, Necromunda and other classics! Warhammer has always been my primary system and having played competitively for the last 8 years.

Regarding game organisation I have run a number of tournaments in New Zealand. However the greater part of event organisation, planning and project management is related to my work role. I have led big organisational restructures as well as grad assessment centres for over 500 hundred graduates for our intakes. Iíve also project managed global recruitment campaigns costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. I feel this experience would be useful to an event like the ETC.

ETC.jpg - Bild entfernt (keine Rechte) Iíve been involved with ETC since I attended Prague in 2015 as part of Team NZ. And most recently was Captain of Team NZ in Zagreb where we won best sports. As part of Team NZ and coming so far we really value being good sports and the friends we make at ETC.

Regarding plans for the ETC I would like to echo Potan in the fact that it should be the most inclusive and welcoming event that showcases our hobby in the best light. There have been over the past few years at ETC rumours of cheating, poor behavior and then of course the issues from this year. I would take a fresh look at how the ETC manages these things including greater empowerment of the refs to hand our penalties. The Charter and rules pack need a look to make sure we continue to build what is the premier team event globally. We shouldnít lose sight of winning the right way is important. Having played a high level of rugby it is possible to do both. Zagrebís event was excellent and taking that to even greater heights in Novi Sad would be the plan. I feel I could add value in the position of chair.

Thanks for your consideration Ė James Team NZ

NZ ETC 2015
NZ ETC Captain 2018
NZ ETC Captain 2019

James Brown  
James Brown
Date registered 05.16.2018

#4 by TOM A , Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:22 am

Vladimir is on vacation and has problems logging onto the forum, so posting in his stead:

Zitat
Hi, Since I am on vacation during this whole elections I have to write from the phone and I will keep it short. My name is Vladimir Curcic aka Severian, and most of you know me so far. I was head orga 2013 and 2014 in Novi Sad, and chairman 2014-2016. I am looking forward to, together with the rest of my team, other chairman and all players willing to help make ETC great again :-). there is always a way for improvement but one of the things that I have noted in last few years is that all systems were not taken care with same attention. That should be corrected. That would of course need some help from players. I also think that charter needs some changes in order to be more realistic and in line with what is really happening. Together with fellow chairman I hope to focus on that, make prepositions for public discussions so we can finally update it.

TOM A  
TOM A

#5 by Chris Legg , Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:36 pm

1) Who are you? (This includes your name, nationality, job, and other non game related details)
My name is Chris Legg , and I was born in England. I am 34 years old and work as a Loss Adjuster on Large commercial insurance claims throughout Europe and North America. I currently live in the North of England and often venture overseas to attend non-ETC events, with Ireland and Chicago already booked in my diary.

2) How long had you been involved in Tabletop gaming and in which systems especially?
My first tournament was in 1998, so 20 years ago now. This was a Warhammer event, a system I have played through all the iterations of the game from 4th through to 8th Edition, and continuing on through the Ninth Age Project. I have also branched out in 40K at various points, and have attended numerous FOW and Horus Heresy events.

3) What has been your involvement with organising events so far? (This doesn't have to be just game related, ETC Organisation requires lots of non game related planning to function)
I ran the Sheffield Slaughter from 2004 until 2017, taking it from a small 40 player event to a 120 player one in this time, and an event that at its Zenith sold out in less than a minute thanks to the wanders on online entry. I was also involved in the UK WPS, which was a players society (pre twitter/whatsapp!) that delivered events for the players such as GW system GTís and culminating in the Club Challenge each yeay, and event that ultimately grew to over 300 plays at its height.

I was an ETC Chairman for the previous (2018) year, acting primarily in a Ninth Age capacity and helping to deliver the event that we had in Zagreb.

My first ETC was the 2009 event in Munster, Germany, where I played for in the Singles event and acted as a general dogsbody for the England fantasy team that year. I then made the team the following year, and since then have attend all of the ETCís as a player, including Switzerland, Poland, Serbia, Czech Republic, Greece, Spain and Croatia.

I was the England Captain for 2015 in Prague and Chairman in 2018.

5) What are your plans for the ETC Organisation and it's future? (This includes details from fixing some of the quirks about how the event runs to substantial changes if you are planning them)
I think following the 2018 it is evident that Ninth Age unfortunately retains some of the same disciplinary issues that plagued 8th Edition in its later stages, and it seriously annoyed me to see some players at this years event simply either ignoring the referees decisions. It is not secret that I was in favour of a ban for Konrad following his actions at the end of the event, something that other chairmen did not agree with, although this decision was ultimately over turned by a Captains vote.

Moving forwards with the event as a whole, I have faith in the Serbia team to deliver a quality event that we know they are capable off, and as such I think the Chair should focus on two main issues:

Charter Reform. The current charter is massively out of date, still containing references to TWF, Fantasy battle ETC. It is also very vague and open to abuse (no confidence issues not having to be declared for example) and for some players to even suggest that as a result of it you cannot ban violent players shows that it needs significant reform. I would propose that if elected, this would be given a very high level of priority and the amended document put up for captains to vote on in late 2018.

Penalties. The referees should have clear guidance and specific situations when they can issue penalties. As harsh as this sounds, it is a (very) small minority of the players causing issues year after year and we need to send a message that this is simply not acceptable. My proposed document would be harsher in terms of penalties than what we have now, and I would look to recruit referees with the confidence to penalise players early and publically with a view to starting to clean up the event for the benefit of all.

Thanks for reading Ė I hope I can bring more positive change next year!

ETC England WFB / Ninth Age 2009 - 2019
ETC Chairman 2018-2019

Chris Legg  
Chris Legg
Date registered 05.22.2018

#6 by Marko , Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:13 pm

Good evening everyone,

my name is Marko Lukić and I would like to offer my application for the duty of an ETC Chairman in the coming year.

I was born and live in Zagreb, Croatia and am currently employed in sales management of a pharamceutical company working on establishing the company's presence on the market. Unrelated to my curreent job I have a decade of experience in Archaeology (museum pedagogy, fieldwork, excavation management, education of children with special needs and more).

My first involvment with tabletop gaming was in the early '90 with Risk. From 1997 I am participating in miniatures tabletop wargaming hobby, starting with Warhammer Fantasy Battles and then quickly branching out to numerous other games offered by Games Workshop (40K, Gorka Morka, Necromunda, Battlefleet, Epic, Warmaster, LOTR) before slowly exploring games from other publishers (Flames of War, Kings of War, Armies of Arcana, Hail Caesar). Through all this time my main point of interest was playing in fantasy
settings until 2015 WHFB and since then 9th Age, in whose development and production I am deeply involved as well as coordination of the project.

As far as wargaming goes I have been organiser or coorganiser of numerous local and international gaming events since 2003 until today, including the largest annual fantasy wargaming event in Croatia. From general organisation point of view I have experience in organising and supervising archeological digs, concerts and art exibitions.

My first ETC was in 2007 in Poland as player, since then I have participate on an on and off basis on seven ocassions. Six of these I was a player and once a referee (Athens 2016). For the 2019 season I am also captain of T9A Team Croatia.

My goal for this season is to ensure the event in 2019 is prepared as best as possible, but the primary interest is to work on a new charter and code of conduct. I wish to create a set of rules and guidelines that will allow the ETC to basically run on auto-pilot whith Chairmen being just caretakers to ease the process.

Team Croatia - Fantasy
Player: 2007 TK; 2009 DoC; 2010 TK; 2011 DW; 2013 DW; 2018 HE
Coach: 2014
Captain: 2019

ETC Referee - Fantasy

Marko  
Marko
Date registered 08.08.2018

Last edited 08.26.2018 | Top

#7 by Babnik Kalenina , Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:28 pm

Dear Fellows,

My name is Fabrice Ruard aka Babnik, I am a 44 years old French citizen and father of a gothic teenage daughter that some of you may have met in some trendy Zagreb spots...
For 15 years, I have been monitoring industrial projects in West Africa for the food industry, lately I have set up an Energy Drink factory in Guinea. Thus I have some background in implementing challenging projects.

Warhammer Fantasy Battle is my sub-life since I bought my first Dark Elf model (a witch elf) in 1988. Since I played each edition and after giving a try to Warmachine/Hordes and Bolt Action, I dived entirely into 9th Age since its very beginning.

I have founded and ran the Fantastique Bataillon de Joinville (FBJ) near Paris. Which is the main WHFB/T9A club in France in terms of intíl tournaments organisations and members attending ETC, both in our national Team or as mercenaries.
Because Iím getting old, I prefer to organize rather than playing tournaments. I ran the biggest Wm/H tournament (80 players from 5 different countries) and a dozen of WHFB/T9A tourneys in France.

Beside the honour of being part of Luxembourg and Norway teams, I contributed to Zagreb event as one of the chairmen.
As the only non-playing Chairman this year, I mainly dedicated my ETC time to help the main organizer smoothen the event flow, promote it through its FB page, and getting feedback from players and coaches.
And of course to sing the Valhalla anthem with my true norse fellows from Norway team!

Although I trust it was the best event since Novi Sad, all these priceless feedbacks convinced me we make this event even better!
-T9A Rules and Referee packs. Some serious adjustments are needed!
-Keep promoting side-systems. X-Wing and AoS have already their seats in our community and we should give them more comfortable ones.
-Terrain and tables. Making sure the organizer complies with systems requirements.
In T9A, 3D terrains were missing. This uncompliance with captain vote that led to some mistakes (players confused ruins and clifs 2D mouse pads) but tables were still very playable.
In Flames of War on the other hand, tables werenít as good as we were use to see in previous editions.
In X-Wings, sufficient room needed to put all cards (and there are a lot of them) werenít considered and players struggles to set their tables comfortably.

To conclude, during the event, at least one non playing chairman must be fully available to help liaising between the main organizer and the players community

I am so looking forward to work with the Novi Sad crew, ETC captains from all systems, and of course my new chairmen fellows to make 2019 event greater than ever!

Thanks for reading! See you around soon!

Where shall we go? Valhalla!
ETC 2018 Chairman

Babnik Kalenina  
Babnik Kalenina
Date registered 05.26.2018

Last edited 08.26.2018 | Top

#8 by Scottish Knight , Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:51 pm

Hi everyone.

I hadn't necessarily intended to put my name forward for this, however I think it is important that a full suite of candidates is available for voting. I would be more than happy to assist others if not chosen though.

My name is Edward Murdoch, I am British/Scottish, and I work as a lawyer in the media sector.

I have been a gamer for over 20 years now, picking up in the early 90s with Warhammer. Since then I have played fantasy wargames on and off, but also have become a dedicated board gamer, as well computer gaming and roleplay gaming. Fantasy settings have been a constant for me across all systems. Since joining the 9th Age, I have become increasingly involved in the admin side as part of the executive board, alongside my role as head of Background.

As part of developing the scene in Scotland from scratch since the end of WHFB and the start of 9th Age, I have been responsible for co-organising 3 tournaments, gradually attracting more attendees, as well as developing a gaming club with a core of regular members.

I am very new to the ETC. 2018 in Zagreb was my first time, although I have attended a number of international tournaments over the past 3 years. I attended as part of Team Scotland, and I will now be taking over as Captain of Team Scotland for 2019.

I would like to see the Charter brought up to date first and foremost, there are a number of procedural matters which are clunky, or lacking in transparency, and should be improved.

I would also like to see a focus for 9th Age of improving the clarity of the tournament pack, and adjusting it to focus on matters of fairplay and conduct. Having listened for years to the stories of how people act at ETC, I was witness to a number of the less savoury sides of play during my time in Zagreb. I would like to see a system which rewards those who ensure the game is rewarding for all participants, and which encourages people to attend rather than putting them off.

Finally, I would like to see a system which ensures representation for all major systems, to ensure their matters are given appropriate attention.

Thank you, and I hope to see many of you next year in Serbia.

Edward

Captain - Team Scotland T9A 2019

Scottish Knight  
Scottish Knight
Date registered 08.08.2018

#9 by Jonny , Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:52 pm

I'm Jonny "Jonny65" Fisher from Northern Ireland. I'm a 46yo IT Technician, keen photographer and all-round nerd.

I've been involved in tabletop gaming for over 20 years, starting with WFB before moving to 40K and then FoW. I'm primarily a tournament player and have played in a lot of tournaments in a variety of countries.

I've organised events in each of the systems I've played here in Northern Ireland, including a WFB and a 40K 6-nations event. NI has a very small player pool so these have generally been small events, with between 10 - 50 players.

I've played in every ETC since 2009 as detailed in my signature, usually captaining one of the NI teams. I've been an ETC chairman in 2013 and again in 2018.

My plan if elected is to represent the grumpy old men (and woman) that take part in ETC FoW, to ensure that the event fits our needs. Of course, I'd also help with whatever other stuff needs doing.

2009 Northern Ireland WFB Captain
2010 - 2012 Northern Ireland 40K Captain
2013 Northern Ireland FoW ETC Chairman
2014 - 2015 Northern Ireland FoW Captain
2016 Canada FoW (Merc)
2017 Northern Ireland FoW Captain
2018 Scotland FoW (Merc) ETC Chairman

Jonny  
Jonny

#10 by pizzaguardian , Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:59 pm

I am Işık from Turkey. Student of Mechanical Engineering.

Since 2010, main system 40k with experience on every ETC system except T9A.

Except for local tournaments, i had been organising WTC and helping out with ETC for the last few years.

I had been captain of Turkey 40K Team for 3 years, Chairmen for 2 years and been in the Orga Team for ETC 2018 Zagreb.

To make it properly function. And maybe incorporation.

2015 WTC Merc

pizzaguardian

Last edited 08.27.2018 | Top

#11 by TOM A , Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:39 am

I'm Tom, from Belgium, working as a lab technician for a beer company.

I've been playing tabletop wargames for some 20 years now. Favorite game is 40K but I played the fantasy variant and I have dabbled in the more obscure games like Malifaux and Bushido as well. I've known to whack a head or two in Bloodbowl whenever opportunity presents.

I get a lot of structure via deadlines and meetings via work so I am used to work under pressure and within a limited timeframe as scope. I have been a leader in the Belgian community for a long while now, organising a ton of events for a myriad of game systems, amongst which the Belgian Team Championships for 40K, that draws an international crowd every year.

I have been a ETC chairmen for 5 years in the past, was head ref in Montreux, and was a ref during 3 ESC events in the past. Besides that I have been actively helping behind the scenes making sure the FAQ doc and rulespack got the proper attention, and I helped flesh out the 40K rules of conduct together with the referees to cement our need for a 'gentlemens game'.

I just love the ETC community ever since I got involved now more than ten years ago, and want to chip in my time once again to make it a better event overall, putting the players needs first.

TOM A  
TOM A

Last edited 08.27.2018 | Top

#12 by Mike (Santa) Klaka , Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:31 am

1. Who conducts the vote?
and
2.What is the

' Condorcet method.'?

Mike

Team England FOW Coach (non playing)

Mike (Santa) Klaka  
Mike (Santa) Klaka
Date registered 07.16.2018

#13 by pizzaguardian , Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:41 am

Quote: Mike (Santa) Klaka wrote in post #12
1. Who conducts the vote?
and
2.What is the

' Condorcet method.'?

Mike

1. I will conduct the vote, the voting will be done open unless there are objections. It can be done with closed ballot system, the forum has tools for that. The vote topic will be up tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

2. Condorcet method is a method of counting votes and compares options to each other. We had been using condorcet for the host vote for at least 2 years (i know because i was the one doing the counting) or more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condorcet_method

The ballot counter will be the one from this site,

https://www.cse.wustl.edu/~legrand/rbvote/calc.html

Even if closed ballot is used the counting will be done openly so you can compare the results if you want.

2015 WTC Merc

pizzaguardian

#14 by el_piszczu , Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:18 pm

Late entry ;)

Krzysztof Piszcz, Polish, production planner

I played Wh40k since 2002 until after ETC 2014, tried a bit of BA, switched to X-wing late 2015 no looking back ever since ;)

I run 3city heresy for several years - Polish league 40k master tournament + BA event for 50- 80 players
X-wing ETC and ESC head ref and TO in same capacity for last three years, E

I played in Polish 40k Team in 2012, 2014, run X-wing event since 2015, been ETC chairmen for last two

I have two main focuses:
- inclusion of x-wing as main system
- stricter rulespack and of refering structure across all systems to ensure fair envirioment and means to minimize negatives (cheating, any kind of assualt) in ETc experience.

2012 WH40k Poland GK
2014 Wh40k Poland Tau
2016 X-wing Head Ref
2017 X-wing Head Ref, ETC Chairman
2018 X-wing Head Raf, ETC Chairman

el_piszczu
Date registered 05.22.2018

#15 by Babnik Kalenina , Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:10 am

The last but not the least...

Where shall we go? Valhalla!
ETC 2018 Chairman