I once again volunteer my technical assistance (primarily) in regards to TourneyKeeper.
Where shall we go? Valhalla!
ETC 2018 Chairman
1) Who are you? (This includes your name, nationality, job, and other non game related details)
Hi! I'm Filippo, from Italy. I'm an Architect and researcher for the University of Florence. I'm an airport designer and at the moment I'm dealing with the design of the new airport in Florence (Italy) and the extension of Pisa airport. You can see my profile here for the full resume https://it.linkedin.com/in/fbosi
I run a consultancy and research group, TxP Workgroup (https://www.dida.unifi.it/vp-608-txp-r.html?newlang=eng ; blog www.txpresearch.wordpress.com ), dealing with project management in Aviation Industry. FWIW I'm a PhD in Architectural Technology, with expertise in Building Information Modeling, Design, User Centered Design and 3d Modeling.
As side job, I run all the activities of Comix Café, Local game shop in my hometown Grosseto, one of the centerpoints of activity for X-Wing in Italy. Since last year I'm also part of the newly founded FFG European judge crew, looking forward to System Open Series and European events track with the central OP organization (Watkins/Thorne, for those familiar with the game)ù
PS: i was officially recognised as the sexiest player in X-Wing. Thank You Ed Holmes!
2) How long had you been involved in Tabletop gaming and in which systems especially?
I've been a miniature wargame players since my teen years, I'd say from 1998. Since 2012 I've been community manager, lead marshal, Tournament officer and host for the X-Wing community in Italy, in addition to being product reviewer and lead translator for the former publisher Giochi Uniti. Now the game is published by Asmodee Italy, and I still act as consultant for Organized Play and product review _ mainly translations.
in the years due to my job and commitment, i've abandoned more time consuming wargames but having a sweet tooth for Star Wars, I've immediately become involved with X-Wing and its competitive side.
3) What has been your involvement with organising events so far? (This doesn't have to be just game related, ETC Organisation requires lots of non game related planning to function)
I run www.starfightersitalia.com since 2013, organizing the whole competitive season troughout the year, the main national events and marshalling as head judge most of the large tournaments. You can see proof of this in the archives of the site; also I'm fairly known across the worldwide community as one of the most travelling players, attending events wherever I can.
4) How long had you been involved in the ETC and in what capacity?
I've been a coach for team italy in 2016, player for greece in 2017 and Ref in 2018.
I do not have a huge experience prior to 2016 with the ETC. I knew what it is, but since i left competitive 40k i never took part in it :)
FYI, in preparation for the ETC system (and its trials, the Italian Team Championship) I've participated in developing the "team tournament" version of Cryodex, the lead tournament software.
5) What are your plans for the ETC Organisation and it's future? (This includes details from fixing some of the quirks about how the event runs to substantial changes if you are planning them)
main points of my future program
- inclusion of x-wing as main system in ETC, given the growing attendance every year
- define a more specific rulespack for each game, that refers to general rules shared by sistems this is aimed at creating a fair system that deals with any unsportmanship conduct that may happen and towards creating a fair environment for all attendees.
- include more side-systems, possibly with tailored formats: the first example that comes to my mind is Star Wars Armada, fantastic for "couple" team tournament and star wars legion, a trait d'union between SW and miniature games.
- be more proactive regarding table requirements and setups
- foster inclusivity of the X-wing Tournament (yeah I know. still XW and star wars - that's my main focus. I'm possibly one of the most experienced TOs in Europe for this systems, and I'm part of the European FFG judge crew), involving new communities
- working hard on fostering the interest for ETC in other countries: so far with the help of el_piszczu we've gathered more than 25 new prospecting captains for the forthcoming years, and I'm working to connect all of them. Expect an X-Winger invasion soon! :D
- bring in some sponsors that can support prize awarding for tournaments. I've developed many contacts in the years, both at the official and informal level that could help in providing a breaktrough experience for all players.
- increase the participation of XW captains in the ETC/Forum life
- Support the realization of play materials for the XW tournament, offering my experience as Graphic designer
- promote the adaptation of tourney keeper to XW for its scoring system (already proposed in the ETC refs FB group, thanks pizzaguardian!), in addition to the development of side tools such as "Team Squadbuilder".
- foster an "official" dedicated live streaming crew for XW ETC (working on it. not easy, but exposure this year was great!)
- WIP; touching grounds with FFG regarding any kind of support to the event. do not take this as granted, since it involves licensing and marketing aspects - but it's worth a try!
Thank you for taking into consideration my application. feel free to shoot me an email if needed at info AT starfightersitalia.com
Since X-Wings is, as stated, a growing system in our ETC family, we'll accept these late applications (let's assume both applicants got technical failure with their speed light cruising...)
Applications is now closed.
Where shall we go? Valhalla!
ETC 2018 Chairman