RE: Personal Statement on the Post-ETC-T9A-2018 events by Frederick

#16 by TOM A , Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:05 am

I think there is a singular opportunity here, regardless of the outcome of the vote, to point all noses in the right direction and to once and for all lay the foundations as to whether or not the T9A captains want this sort of behavior to be tolerated going forward. Instead of the umpteenth post why not spend your time starting a new thread with directions and proposals for your fellow captains that can be discussed and voted on so you guys are not in the same situation at some future point in time. I think it is time to focus the energy everyone spends writing on these various topics here towards a common goal, which is to point all noses in the same direction and to prevent this type of behavior to remain unpunished going forward. From what I read a fair majority is in favor of that, so it just needs a few people to spearhead the change and set things in motion.

The 40K side was in a similar state a few years back and we have cemented a lot of player rules and penalties in our package so everyone knows what they get into stepping into the event, and the focus has largely been on gentlemen play ever since. It has taken a turn for the better, so I hope T9A captains will follow suit and draw a line on what sort of behavior is expected and tolerated from a T9A ETC player.

TOM A  
TOM A
Date registered 05.16.2018

#17 by Xavier , Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:11 am

My bottom line is that we have chairmen and referees that are taking decisions and I trust their judgement (even if I disagree with them)

The thing I disapprove here is the forum drama, which always happens because it allows a few voices to get very loud

T9A Swiss Captain
2008-2009-2010-2013-2014-2015-2016-2017-2018
Organizer ETC 2011

Xavier  
Xavier
Date registered 07.10.2018

#18 by Tomlin , Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:32 am

I think that there were mixed two things together:
1) Errors in tournament pack
2) Konrad's behaviour

I see it, that because chairmen felt guilty due to the problems with tournament pack, they accepted less strict decision about Konrad's behaviour. And I think, that this was not objective from their side.
Regardless the situation set at the end of the event, behaviour such rude and aggressive as performed by Konrad should not be tolerated.
All the votes that have been started I see as a reaction to the feeling, that chairmen ar not representing our interests in this matter - people just feel endangered. I think there is no real non-confidence to them and no disrespect to their hard work.

One note to the mentioning, that Spain has won due to post-event decision. I've read at least one (and think even more) descriptions from the Refs, which stated that during pre-event captains meeting it was announced that penalties would be applied to capped points. If this is true, then there was no inconsistency at the end of the event and no reason for hard feelings from polish team. Was it really so?

At last I would like to support the idea to get the experience from this matter and to incorporate clear announcement to the future tournament pack, how such behaviour would be punished. Without this and with keeping current chairmen decision, it would be bad and dangerous signal for future events.

Czech ETC T9A Coach - 2017, 2018

Tomlin  
Tomlin
Date registered 05.22.2018

#19 by TOM A , Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:38 am

Quote: Xavier wrote in post #17
My bottom line is that we have chairmen and referees that are taking decisions and I trust their judgement (even if I disagree with them)

Just like you, not everyone agrees with their decisions and shares your trust in their judgement, and that is OK, it is the foundation of the ETC. The chairmen do not bear absolute power, the captains do. If they disagree and want to overturn a decision, that is their prerogative.

Obviously not everyone is keen on setting a precedent of this ilk, and letting aggressive behavior from a player towards a ref stand and I can't say I don't blame them for wanting to put their foot down in this case. I am sure all of the chairmen understand why these votes are being put in place, and will be happy whichever the outcome.

TOM A  
TOM A

Last edited 08.14.2018 | Top

#20 by Frederick , Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:29 pm

Quote: Orion wrote in post #9
I can 100% guarantee you that Team Spain have anything BUT a bad taste in their mouth regarding their much deserved and hard fought win at the ETC. Theyre in heaven and mostly ignoring the drama.

Also, I cannot believe that you actually intended for VPs to be used as a tie-breaker in the TEAM event. It just shows that you were either incompetent or lying (I doubt youve been bribed to say such a stupid thing).

Really Fred... youve been around the ETC for enough years now to know how team events work. Please dont insult our intelligence by saying you actually meant VPs to be the first tie-breaker. I know you are anything but incompetent in just about anything you do in life, except for telling lies perhaps. Youre gonna need more practice on that.

Im getting a sour grapes vibe from you. Not cool mate.

Ivan, it´s enough. Saying tosomebody he should not insult his intelligence a a borderline statement. Going out to public and calling sombody a liar is absolutely unacceptable (especially after an honest statment and explaination). Just be ashamed of yourself and ask yourself how you can judge other at all when you show such behavior. I tought it might be common elsewhere to call somebody a liar and he takes it with ease. Since i know you grew up in Australia and the ones i know from there do not like being called i liar as well ... so unfortunately i cannot take the straw of cultural difference here to justify your actions ...

not cool at all, mate!

P.S.: for everyone who thinks i´m a liar as well. feel free to take this discussion eye to eye with me and not like cowards on some forum.

Frederick  
Frederick
Date registered 05.14.2018

#21 by Mike Newman , Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:40 pm

The problem with forums is they often give a place for people who want to argue to voice said opinion, often not to well

I for one appreciate your honesty and the thought that went into your decision, whether I agree with the outcome or not.

I also have no doubt that the ETC would not have been the success it was without your input.

Hopefully we can learn to focus on that going forward.

England t9A 2015, 2016, captain 2017, co-captain 2018, captain 2019

Mike Newman  
Mike Newman
Date registered 05.15.2018

#22 by Frederick , Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:52 pm

Thx for that Mikey - seems you got want I wanted to say :)

I think everybody should be aware that - no matter who will be chairman for next year - that guys will have learned a lesson and the same thing will not happen again.

Frederick  
Frederick

#23 by Kiri , Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:55 pm

Quote: Mike Newman wrote in post #21
The problem with forums is they often give a place for people who want to argue to voice said opinion, often not to well

I for one appreciate your honesty and the thought that went into your decision, whether I agree with the outcome or not.

I also have no doubt that the ETC would not have been the success it was without your input.

Hopefully we can learn to focus on that going forward.

Same thing here Frederick!

Even if I disagree with the chairmen decision, I'm still very grateful for all your work for the ETC and more generaly the 9th age :)

See you soon pal !

Luxembourg T9A Captain 2016, 2017 & 2018

Kiri
Date registered 05.15.2018

#24 by Orion , Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:05 pm

Quote: Frederick wrote in post #20

P.S.: for everyone who thinks i´m a liar as well. feel free to take this discussion eye to eye with me and not like cowards on some forum.

I have no issues with telling you eye to eye Frederick. I have in the past, whether it was a Balance Team discussion or a Team Australia disagreement, and will do so again if needed. Im straight up with you. Always. And while most of the time I appreciate and value your neverending work in T9 Age proyect and Team Aus, when I have to call bullshit then I call bullshit. Im blunt as f*ck but at least you get my exact opinion from the get go. Personally I do not believe that you ever intended to make VPs the first tie-breaker in the team event, but it was more of an oversight by not only you but everyone involved. The fact that you have come out and stated so has really bothered me. Im pissed off. Anyway, Ill let things be for now... but this conversation is to be continued the next time we run into each other in private.

Orion  
Orion
Date registered 06.06.2018

#25 by Blonde Beer , Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:50 pm

Ill repost this from the t9a site where I posted it earlier.

Im personally happy that @Frederick took the time to write out his views on it. I might not agree on everything but atleast it gives clarity on his viewpoint as a chairman.

I personally find this entire discussion extreemly bad for the overall event. My main fear is that as a result we either loose people willing to judge at the event (we are already short handed) or it will result in less teams showing up.

I'm not the most competitive guy, and for me the ETC is just a chance to meet up the friends I have internationally in the tournament scene, and in the T9A staff. I cant put myself in the space of someone who is that close to the final podium after spending years to prepare for the event, but I also dont want to have an event where someone's wife gets a face full of drama.

I heard they got a personal apology though, which atleast is one light point in this mess.

My main hope going forward is that both sides talk this over as captains and set up actions that prevent this from happening again in the future.
The ETC should be about more than winning, it should be a place for the best of the best (and dumb little me) to compete under the banner of respect, sportmanship and friendship.

T9A NL

Blonde Beer  
Blonde Beer
Date registered 05.18.2018

#26 by Frederick , Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:55 pm

@ivan: Honestly i do not give the slightest tought about the next time we meet if you are not going to apologize for calling me a liar. I gave honest feedback and it speaks for the issue itself that in 4 years of ETC I have never been aware of that kind of tie-breaker everyone tells me I MUST have known about. I did not. Never applied it to any of the plenty of tournaments i did as well.

Sad to see what kind of behaviour you choose to fight the truth. Do as you plz and judge me as you plz, i´m grown up enough to get over it and self confident enough to feel good in saying that i simply know better what i did, itended and why.

Frederick  
Frederick

#27 by Frederick , Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:50 pm

Dear community and captains,

due to the latest events i have decided to immediately resign from being a chairman and will in no way be at ETC 2019´s service in any way (no application, no other support of the event during preparation or on site).

I do not want to put a lengthy statement or explaination here. Only thing i can leave is, that it is a step i announced internally and planned in case of certain events. I´m atm highly disappointed and partially disgusted by some parts of the captains/community and simply lost interest in contributing anything helpful for the event at all.

I look back to some rough month and a lot of work for the ETC 2018 i did only because a bunch of friends asked me to apply last year. Some of these disappointed me big time as well. On top the level of private insult i received via PM´s/FB and the like was unacceptable and as a matter of principle i had to take the consequence to avoid ETC ruining even more friendships and good relationships.

Personally i´m shocked by how the ETC T9A community tears itself apart and how it effects the game and project even. I do not want to be part of it anymore.

Thanks to everyone who supported me and directed words of thankfulness towards me in the last weeks - i really appreciated it.

I cross fingers ETC 2019 will not suffer to the degree i personally anticipate after the latest events.

Cheers
Frederick

Frederick  
Frederick

#28 by Humblr , Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:47 pm

Huge waste.
Hope I will see you around some time soon.

Many thanks for all you've done.
Cheers mate

French ETC player 2012/ 2016/ 2018

Humblr
Date registered 08.09.2018

#29 by Crusader PL , Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:53 pm

Sorry to hear it Fred.
You're a great guy and your part in 9th is important.
Hope to sea you around anyway.

ETC for life!

2017 Team Poland cherleader - got married

Team Poland Lizardman and Beastman - 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018

Team Russia Lizardman 2006

Crusader PL  
Crusader PL
Date registered 08.08.2018

#30 by pk-ng , Mon Aug 20, 2018 3:30 am

Sorry to hear it Fred.
I think alot of things said hear is unwarranty and uncalled for.
Hope to see you helping around in the future!

#toysoldiers #havingfun

Fantasy - Team Singapore
2015 - High Elves
2014 - Chaos Dwarvf

pk-ng  
pk-ng

VOTE - Should the T9ACC Overturn the Chairmen's Decision on the Konrad Situation?
For the sake of transparency.

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor