RE: Midwar 2019 rulespack

#106 by Jonny , Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:56 pm

After our first local tournament, it seems to me that the game works fine 'out of the box'. I don't think that any restrictions on cards is needed now. This may change with the release of new cards, but so far so good. If cards are to be restricted, I'd still like to see some card duplicates allowed. Allowing each formation to be used only once is a nice simple rule but it does hurt some nations much more than others. eg Italians only have 1 tank company while there are 8 British tank companies to choose from.

2009 Northern Ireland WFB Captain
2010 - 2012 Northern Ireland 40K Captain
2013 Northern Ireland FoW ETC Chairman
2014 - 2015 Northern Ireland FoW Captain
2016 Canada FoW (Merc)
2017 Northern Ireland FoW Captain
2018 Scotland FoW (Merc) ETC Chairman

Jonny  
Jonny
Date registered 05.14.2018

#107 by Trick , Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:29 am

Quote: 96mgb wrote in post #105
Trick when the rules pack is released captains will get a chance to vote for it or reject it same as last year. The whole point of the committee is that they are trusted to make the pack. Getting a unanimous agreement for the headlines in the draft pack is tough just for our small group imagine if every line was voted on by everybody!

Remember the rules for cards eg limited etc are all looking at single armies they are not designed for a team format. What we are trying to do is adapt what is an incrediably loose army building system to something that provides the structure for a team debate. As stated isn’t the post this is a draft and we have quite a while until the final rule pack is presented.

yeah I get that...but I think the committee is building in a level of complexity that just does not need to be there, the game works fine...if a team thinks they can create power lists that will guarantee victory I feel they are welcome to try, we are all going to do that anyway. So leave the cards in and bring on those power lists, I look forward to trying to break what they put up.

Trick

Trick  
Trick
Date registered 05.24.2018

#108 by 96mgb , Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:01 am

We are working a middle ground which balances the card issue with the team selection aspect better. The updated rule pack will come out end of Dec as planned. Remember the etc is about how things blend as a team selection not how things work as a normal 1v1.

So there will be card limitation especially for formations, however while still under discussion what’s being discussed is a more relaxed version to enable wider choice as suggested. Eg it would allow a full formation of veteran us inf for example.

Genuinely not being rude but I am going to there as the whole point of this is to allow discussions to be made by a agreed group without everything being picked by multiple angles which leads to a stalemate of opinions. However I wanted to give an update on behalf of the committee so you know the concerns are being taken on board :-)

Team Wales 2014
Team Wales 2015
Team wales 2016
Team Wales 2017
Captain Team Wales

96mgb  
96mgb
Date registered 05.15.2018

#109 by Mongol , Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:57 am

Quote: Trick wrote in post #107

yeah I get that...but I think the committee is building in a level of complexity that just does not need to be there, the game works fine...if a team thinks they can create power lists that will guarantee victory I feel they are welcome to try, we are all going to do that anyway. So leave the cards in and bring on those power lists, I look forward to trying to break what they put up.
Trick

Here comes another point that I wanted to highlight. Don't know for other countries, but here in Russia community is slowly recovering from edition change and early war. And bringing in a big pack of restrictions would divide the community once again. Cause one part of the community would be trying to get ready for ETC and another part would be voting for playing vanilla rules. That would be a serious headache for tournament orgas.

2019 ETC Russia FoW Captain
2018 ETC Russia FoW Captain
2017 ETC Russia FoW
2015 WHFB Merc

Mongol
Date registered 05.27.2018

#110 by Jonny , Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:58 am

Quote: 96mgb wrote in post #108
Genuinely not being rude but I am going to there as the whole point of this is to allow discussions to be made by a agreed group without everything being picked by multiple angles which leads to a stalemate of opinions. However I wanted to give an update on behalf of the committee so you know the concerns are being taken on board :-)

Thanks for the update.

I don't see an issue with captains posting their opinions of the proposed rulespack in this thread. The rulespack committee can take these opinions on board or just ignore them as they see fit. The captains will get their say when it comes to voting on whether to approve or reject the rulespack.

2009 Northern Ireland WFB Captain
2010 - 2012 Northern Ireland 40K Captain
2013 Northern Ireland FoW ETC Chairman
2014 - 2015 Northern Ireland FoW Captain
2016 Canada FoW (Merc)
2017 Northern Ireland FoW Captain
2018 Scotland FoW (Merc) ETC Chairman

Jonny  
Jonny
Date registered 05.14.2018

#111 by 96mgb , Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:40 pm

Johnny absolutely I just wanted to point out I am not going to be going back and forth to every post, I dont want people to think they arent getting read and looked at I just don’t want to get dragged into a massive internet debate :-). As you say it can be voted for and either accepted or rejected.

Team Wales 2014
Team Wales 2015
Team wales 2016
Team Wales 2017
Captain Team Wales

96mgb  
96mgb

#112 by Angelfred , Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:35 pm

@Mongol / @Trick : I agree with you both that ETC shall leave room for liberty in bringing lists for players.
The more there is constraint, the more there is a risk for attendance, and the more there is a risk of split amongst communities. Both things I believe we all want to avoid.
ETC players are part of a global and local community, not tournament freaks.
We don't play a sperate game, we play the same game as others players.

Although, I agree with 96mgb, it's up to us (general ETC community, spearheaded by the Comitte) to put boundaries so as for this team event to be as pleasant as it can be.
Those boundaries shall reach as much consensus as possible.
For instance, it's not illogical to limit the number of Formations to be plaid, as well as number of Nations to be aligned within a Team : who wants to face Team "PainfulLand" with 6 times 3 Formations of L6/40 ? (@Trick : before you flame this, not saying it's gamebreaker, just stating it's very painful gaming :))
Some others topics may not be as clear and need deep thought from the Comittee, on which we all agree by democratic vote to rely on, and on which we all agree to have a final vote (YES/NO) on their work.

Very positive news is BF is sticking to the calendar and will produce Kursk (Ghost Panzers and Red Banner) in December so as for everybody to have them and see how it changes the current metagame, prior to the Comittee to provide its proposal.

Cheers from France,

Fred

Angelfred  
Angelfred

#113 by Dirkhrod , Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:55 am

As I understand it, people seem to have given up on seeing "minor nations" (Finns, Romanians and Hungarians) at the ETC. Anyone has any news on those ?

ETC 2014 - FoW Romania Captain - British Airlanding Company (LW)
ETC 2015 - FoW Romania Captain - British Armoured Car Squadron (EW)
ETC 2016 - FoW Romania Captain - Soviet Kazachiy Polk (MW)
ETC 2017 - FoW Romania Captain - British Airlanding Company (LW)
ETC 2018 - FoW Romania Captain - Finnish Panssarikomppania (EW)

Dirkhrod

#114 by Trick , Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:27 am

All reasonable points above, totally agree with limiting the number of times nation/formation can be taken in such a way as to keep it as true to how we have done it in past years, and this in itself will restrict what cards come into play. Just be careful not to create a set of rules that the captains then just vote No to:-)

Trick

Trick  
Trick

#115 by Angelfred , Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:00 pm

Guys and Gals,

Just pinpointing topics we have in team composition/planning based on available lists (Afrika, Iron Cross, Ghost Panzers, Avanti, Armoured Fist, Fighting First, Enemy at the Gate, Red Banner) : are Formations limited in the team ?
What we need to know is are Formations that are similar, but don’t have the same name/same composition, can be both taken or not ?
If yes, what is the limit ?

Five examples to illustrate :
- US have access to three Tanks Formation (Stuart, Lee, Sherman) => are there 3 different slots or a same slot “US Tank” ?
- UK and URSS have numerous Tanks Formations (Crusader, Stuart, Churchill, Sherman… Tankovy, Mixed Tankovy, Guards…) => are there each a different slot ? or a same slot ? or are they regroup (like Light Tanks, Medium Tanks, Heavy Tanks) ?
- GERMANY have access to 3 types of Armored Cars companies (Afrika, Iron Cross, Ghost Panzers) => can we use them all ? or is it “1 Armored Cars company per team” ?
- The GERMANY “Reconnaissance Company” from Ghost Panzers, is it considered totally separate Formation, or same as Armored Cars, or same as PanzerGrenadier (Late) ?
- ITALY has two different L6/40 lists, the “regular” and the “recce” => can we use them both ? or is it “1 L6/40 company per team” ?

We know Committee is working and we don’t expect an answer now, but we just wanted to be sure these topics are well considered.

Cheers from France,

Fred

Angelfred  
Angelfred

#116 by 96mgb , Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:54 pm

Fred

The no repeat is by name of formation not type (remember there are no types of companies anymore) so you one player could take a Stuart formation and 1 a lee formations. However then no other player can take the a US Lee or US Stuart formation.

The limit for armoured car formation is 1 per team as they are the same formation name in all books. I’m not aware that there are 2 L6/40 formations I thought there was jus the one card? However they are different names so would each be allowed under the draft rulepack. You don’t want a situation where there are lots of cavers hence why just going no repeat of the same name as its straight forward.

Team Wales 2014
Team Wales 2015
Team wales 2016
Team Wales 2017
Captain Team Wales

96mgb  
96mgb

Last edited 11.28.2018 | Top

#117 by Angelfred , Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:12 pm

Hi Matt,

Thanks for reply.
If I understand right, what's matter is the name of the Formation (either from the book or the command card), correct ?
Not what is in the Formation, correct ?

To precise the question :
- Panzer III company / Panzer III (uparmoured) company / Panzer IV company => so those are 3 different Formations (e.g : players can field all 3 of them in the Team), right ?
- Panzer III company (Afrika) / Panzer III company (Iron Cross) => so those are 1 same Formation (e.g : players can only field 1 in the Team), right ?
- L6/40 Scout Tanks (command card Avanti) / L6/40 Light Tanks (command card Avanti) => so those are 2 different Formations, right ?
- Armoured Cars Company (Afrika) / Armoured Cars Company (Iron Cross) / Armoured Cars Company (Ghost Panzers) => so those are 1 same Formation, right ?
- Mixed Tank Battalion (Enemy at the Gate) / Mixed Tank Battalion (Red Banner) => so those are 1 same Formation, right ?
- Armoured Cars Company (Afrika/Iron Cross/Ghost Panzers) / Reconnaissance Company (Ghost Panzers) => so those are 2 different Formations, right ?
- PanzerGrenadier Late (Ghost Panzers) / Reconnaissance Company (Ghost Panzers) => so those are 2 different Formations, right ?

Cheers from France,

Fred

Angelfred  
Angelfred

#118 by 96mgb , Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:53 pm

Hey Fred

Your examples are correct.

So a the GP recon company is very different to an armoured car company as it has 2 x compulsory inf platoons on btw.

Tbh the fact that you could take a L16/40 formation and l16/40 scout company isn’t ideal as they are basically the same core formation but one allows more core choices (oddly not scout ones still get the scout rule!). I’ll raise it for discussion whether this should be treated as an oddity as they are kinda the same. Thanks for pointing it out.

Team Wales 2014
Team Wales 2015
Team wales 2016
Team Wales 2017
Captain Team Wales

96mgb  
96mgb

Last edited 11.29.2018 | Top

#119 by Angelfred , Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:09 pm

Quote: 96mgb wrote in post #118
Hey Fred

Tbh the fact that you could take a L16/40 formation and l16/40 scout company isn’t ideal as they are basically the same core formation but one allows more core choices (oddly not scout ones still get the scout rule!). I’ll raise it for discussion whether this should be treated as an oddity as they are kinda the same. Thanks for pointing it out.

Thanks for the reply bro'.

No, L6/40 Light Tanks (the non-Scout) lose Scout and Spearhead.
But they do get a 3+ Fearless motivation and hit better in Assault.
They are, in effet, two different Formations that don't play the same.

Angelfred  
Angelfred

#120 by 96mgb , Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:37 pm

Fred

You are correct I was confused as forces is wrong and has them both listed as the same stats with scout and spreadhead. I’ll email and try and get that updated.

Team Wales 2014
Team Wales 2015
Team wales 2016
Team Wales 2017
Captain Team Wales

96mgb  
96mgb

Mercenary looking for team

Xobor Create your own Forum with Xobor